I have a little sister who enjoys deleting folders and files that are important to me. I need an easy way to password protect my folders! How do I protect my folders and files from being deleted, or hide them from my sister?
We all have files on our system that are valuable to us and that we do not want to lose. This can be anything imaginable, from Office documents to images or video files. Luckily there is a simple program called Protect My Folders, which allows you to lock and password protect your folders. It prevents your data from being accessed, misused, moved, copied, altered or deleted. All of your protected folders and files remain inaccessible without your password.
How to Lock and Password Protect Your Folder in Windows 7?
- Download the Protect My Folders application. Install it on your computer.
- For the first time usage, it will ask you to set a password to prevent others from accessing this application. Just enter the password to open main interface.
- Now, click the “Add/Lock” button, the Add Files and Folders dialog will appear. Select a folder and file you want to lock and press OK.
- Now you’ll notice the selected folder or file has disappeared from its former location. Even if you try to copy, delete, move or rename the parent directory of your protected folder or file, you’ll keep getting the “Access Denied” error.
- Exit the Protect My Folders application. The protected folder or file remains protected.
Beside locking your folders or files with password, Protect My Folder program can also help you hide your folders so that no one will ever know that they exist. It’s that simple!
How do I change standard user to administrator in Windows 7? You may have changed from administrator to standard user and you can not revert the change. In this tutorial we’ll show you 2 options to promote standard user account to administrator in Windows 7.
Option 1: Change Standard User Account to Administrator from Computer Management
If you can login to Windows 7 using an alternate administrator account, you can elevate any standard user to administrator easily by following these steps:
- Right-click on Computer icon from the Desktop and select Manage.
- Navigate to Local Users and Groups -> Users and double-click on the user account where you want to promote.
- Switch to the Member Of tab. Click on Add button to add the Administrators group.
- Now you’ve successfully changed a standard user account to administrator.
Option 2: Change Standard User Account to Administrator with PCUnlocker
If you can’t login to Windows 7 with any administrator account, you can also promote a standard user to administrator easily. But this requires you to have a bootable password recovery CD called PCUnlocker. Let’s see how it works:
- First of all, you need to use another computer to make a PCUnlocker Boot CD. Download the ISO image of PCUnlocker and burn it to a CD using ISO2Disc program.
- Boot your target PC from PCUnlocker Boot CD. Once the booting process is complete, the PCUnlocker program will start and show you a list of Windows accounts existing in your Windows SAM file.
- Choose a standard user account and click on “Reset Password” button. The program will remove your password and also promote your user account to administrator.
- Now restart the computer and remove the CD. You can then log back into Windows 7 and perform any administrative tasks. Because you’ve already changed your standard user account to administrator! It’s that simple!
Forgetting your Windows VM password is not really something that happens too often, but it can happen, especially if you are administering many virtual machines and need to remember a lot of passwords. This can be a serious issue if you have very important data on the VM that you can’t afford to lose. In this tutorial we’ll show you how to reset forgotten Windows VM password in VMware ESX / vSphere.
How to Reset Windows VM Password in VMware ESX / vSphere?
- Download the zipped ISO image of PCUnlocker and save it on your physical machine. Unzip the download file and you’ll get a bootable ISO image file: pcunlocker.iso.
- Open up your VMWare vSphere Client and log into your ESX server. Turn off the virtual machine that you want to reset password for if it is running. Right-click the virtual machine and select “Edit Settings”.
- In the Hardware tab, select the “CD/DVD drive 1″. Under Device Type, check the “Client Device” to enable remote CD drive.
- Switch to the Options tab, then select the “Boot Options”. Under the “Power-on Boot Delay” you can specify how long the delay will be when you start / restart a VM. I’ve set 2s delay on booting to give myself time to press the Esc key to access the Boot Menu.
- Power on your virtual machine, it should display a BIOS screen with options at the bottom and a counter. press Esc key to access the Boot Menu.
- In the top menu of vSphere client, click on the CD-ROM icon and select “CD/DVD Drive 1″ -> “Connect to ISO image on local disk”. Browse to the pcunlocker.iso file you’ve downloaded and click Open. The image is now mounted.
- Choose the CD-ROM Drive from the Boot Menu and press Enter. It will boot off of the CD image.
- In less than one minute, PCUnlocker program will start and it displays a list of Windows local accounts existing in your virtual machine. Choose a user account and click on “Reset Password” button. It will unlock / reset your forgotten Windows password instantly.
- Restart the virtual machine. you can then log back in to your VMware vSphere virtual machine without a password! It’s that simple!
If your Windows user account expires, then you’ll receive the error message “The user’s account has expired” when you try to log on with a expired Windows account.
In this situation, if you can log on using an alternate administrator account, you can then turn off the user account expiration easily by running the following command from an elevated Command Prompt:
net user Tom /expires:never
Replace Tom with your actual account’s name. However, things can get tricky if you don’t have an alternate admin account. But there is always solution for every problem. In this tutorial we’ll show you how to log in to Windows by turning off user account expiration from a bootable CD.
PCUnlocker is a bootable CD that is widely used to reset lost Windows password, but it can also be used to turn off user account expiration, enable a disabled account and unlock a locked-out user.
How to Unlock A Expired Windows User Account with PCUnlocker?
- Download the zipped ISO image of PCUnlocker using an alternate computer. Extract the pcunlocker.iso from the download file, and then burn it to a CD using ISO2Disc program.
- Now connect the CD to your computer that you’re trying gain access to. Change the boot order in BIOS and get the computer to boot from CD.
- Once booting from the CD, it will start the PCUnlocker program itself in less than one minute. The program automatically locates your Windows user account and displays the account properties. You can see the password expiration option, but the account expiration option is not shown on screen.
- Choose a user account and then click on “Reset Password” button. The program will then reset the password, unlock/enable a locked-out or disabled account, and turn off the account expiration.
- Restart your computer and remove the CD. You can then successfully log back in to your Windows account without any problem. It’s that simple!
Can’t log on to your computer because your Windows user account is locked out? A locked user account in Windows remains locked for some duration which depending on the settings of your account lockout policy. It automatically unlocks after the given duration. But if you set the lockout duration to 0 minutes, the locked user account in Windows does not unlock itself. How to get out of this situation without reinstalling Windows?
Luckily there is a bootable CD called PCUnlocker, which allows you to unlock a locked Windows user account easily! It saves all your important data and time instead of reinstalling windows.
How to Unlock A Locked Windows User Account?
Step #1: Because you’re already locked out of Windows user account, you’re not allowed to do anything with the locked computer. To get started, you need to use another computer to create a PCUnlocker Boot CD. Download the zipped ISO image of PCUnlocker. Extract the pcunlocker.iso from the download .zip archive, then burn the ISO image to a blank CD using ISO2Disc program.
Step #2: Take out the PCUnlocker Boot CD and connect it to your locked computer. Turn on the computer and get it to boot from CD drive. To achieve this, you may need to change the boot order in the computer’s BIOS.
Step #3: Once you boot the computer from CD, it will start the PCUnlocker program after about one minutes. The program locates your Windows SAM registry hive and display the account properties (account locked out? disabled? or expired?) of Windows local user accounts.
Step #4: Choose a user account which is shown as locked out, and click on “Reset Password” button. The program will unlock your locked Windows user account immediately, and also reset the number of invalid password attempts which is recorded in Windows.
Step #5: Restart the computer and eject the PCUnlocker Live CD. You can then log back on to your Windows user account without a password! It’s that simple!
Have you disabled the Windows 7 administrator account and can’t log on to your computer? Need to enable the the built-in administrator account for troubleshooting purposes? There are many situations that we need to enable Windows 7 administrator account without logging in. Here is an easy fix.
How to Enable Windows 7 Administrator Account without Logging In?
- First of all, you need to create a PCUnlocker Boot CD using another computer. Download and install Password Recovery Bundle on the computer. Launch the program and click on “Windows Password” button, it will display a new window which enables you to create a PCUnlocker Boot CD easily.
- Put the PCUnlocker Boot CD in the optical drive of the locked computer that you’re trying to gain access to. Set your optical drive as the first boot device in BIOS. Start the computer and it will boot from PCUnlocker Boot CD then.
- After a while, the program inside the Boot CD will launch. It automatically finds all Windows user accounts on your system, and display user account properties for each user: Locked Out, Disabled and Never Expire.
- Choose your administrator account that is disabled, and then click on “Reset Password” button. The program will enable the administrator account and also remove the password.
- Restart the computer and remove the PCUnlocker Boot CD. You can then start your computer and log back in to your administrator account with a blank password.
So that is how can you enable / activate Windows administrator account without logging in. It’s very useful when you’re unable to log on your computer, or you can only log in with Guest account but don’t have administrator privileges. If you can log in to Windows with administrator privileges, then you can enable / disable Windows administrator account easily from Command Prompt.
Forgot Windows 8 administrator password on your Surface Pro? It can cause huge amount of headaches because Windows 8 PCs use a new technology called UEFI Secure Boot that only supports UEFI compatible boot devices. In this tutorial we’ll show you how to reset Windows 8 administrator password on Surface Pro in case your password is lost or forgotten.
How to Reset Windows 8 Administrator Password on Surface Pro?
Download the zipped ISO image of PCUnlocker on an alternate PC you have access to. Unzipping the download file and you’ll find a bootable ISO image file: pcunlocker.iso. We have to burn this ISO image to your USB flash drive.
Download and install ISO2Disc on your computer, and then start ISO2Disc program. Click on Browse button to select the ISO image file of PCUnlocker, then choose your USB drive and select GPT from the partition style drop-down box. Click on Burn. A UEFI bootable password reset USB drive will be created immediately.
After creating a UEFI bootable USB drive, boot your Microsoft Surface Pro tablet from it. Just hold down the volume-down (-) button as you press the Power button. Once you see the Surface logo, release volume button and now it will boot from your USB drive.
The computer will load the 64-bit UEFI capable operating system inside the USB drive. After a while, you’ll see the PCUnlocker program open up, which shows you a list of user accounts existing on your Windows 8 Surface Pro.
Select the administrator account and then click on Reset Password button. It will unlock / reset your Windows 8 administrator password in no time. Unplug the USB drive and restart the Surface Pro, you can then log back into Windows 8 administrator account without a password! So this is how can you reset forgotten Windows 8 password on Surface Pro.
Unlocking Windows 7 password won’t be easy, but it is possible. With Password Recovery Bundle you can access your system even if the administrator password has been forgotten. In this post, we will guide you through step-by-step procedure of unlocking Windows 7 password using a bootable USB flash drive.
How to Unlock Windows 7 Password with USB Flash Drive?
Download Password Recovery Bundle and save it to any computer you can access. Double-click on the setup file and install it. Launch the program and click on Windows Password button. From the pop-up dialog you can create a bootable password unlocker USB flash drive.
After the password unlocker CD/USB drive is created, reboot your locked Windows 7 PC and access system BIOS menu by pressing ESC, F2, F10, F9 or other BIOS key. Head over to Boot menu and set CD or Removable Drive as first boot option. Once boot priority is changed, save the changes and reboot the computer.
If you have changed the boot order successfully, the computer will boot from the CD/USB drive and start the Reset Windows Password utility after a while. From the program’s interface, you can see the Windows 7 SAM registry file and a list of Windows local user accounts.
Select a user account and click on Reset Password button. It will remove/unlock your forgotten Windows 7 password quickly. After that, remove the CD/USB drive and restart the computer. You can then log into your Windows 7 user account with a blank password.
When you forget your password or the administrator’s password for your Windows 7 machine, it can be a real pain attempting to login to your system. Luckily there is a free Windows 7 password reset tool – NTPWEdit.
NTPWEdit is a free tool that allows to change or remove passwords for local system accounts. This tools supports Windows NT based systems (like Windows 2000, XP and Vista), but could be used also to reset the password of a Windows 7 system.
How to Reset Windows 7 Password with NTPWEdit
NTPWEdit only works if you access the Windows installation offline and boot from a second Windows system. So before getting started to reset Windows 7 password, you need to create a bootable Windows PE USB flash drive and then copy the NTPWEdit utility to the USB drive. Next, boot your locked Windows 7 PC from the USB drive and perform password resetting, by follow these steps:
- Take the USB drive you’ve created to the Windows 7 PC on which you need to reset password. Insert the USB drive into the USB port and turn on the computer.
- Once your computer boots from the USB drive, it will load the Windows PE operating system. If the computer still boots from your hard drive, you will probably need to change the boot order in your BIOS so that it can boot from the USB drive.
- After booting into Windows PE, launch the NTPWEdit utility inside your USB drive.
- Once the utility opens, click on the “…” button to specify the path to your Windows 7 SAM file. On most systems this is c:\windows\system32\config\sam.
- Click the (Re)open button. It will show you a list of local user accounts existing in your Windows installation.
- Choose a user account and then click the “Change Password” button. Type a new password on the NTPWEdit screen. Retype that same password to confirm it. You can also left the password field blank to remove the existing Windows 7 password.
- Click on “Save changes” button and Exit.
Remove the USB drive and restart the computer. You can then log in to your Windows 7 system with a blank or a new password. So this is how can you reset Windows 7 password for free, using the freeware NTPWEdit. However, if you can’t get it to work or need a much easier password recovery software, then the Reset Windows Password utility should be the best choice for you.
Have you forgotten your Windows password and can’t log on to your computer? Just changed your Windows user account password a few days ago and now forgot it? Is there a way to break Windows password without data loss? With the help of a password breaker utility called Reset Windows Password, you can break into Windows user account easily after forgetting your password.
Reset Windows Password is one of the best Windows password breaker utilities out there. It runs from a boot disk and helps you remove forgotten Windows password instantly while leaving all of your files, documents, pictures, programs and settings as they were. Quickly obtain access to your locked-out Windows NT-based systems.
This article will walk you through how to break into a Windows PC using the Windows password breaker mentioned above.
How to Break into A Windows PC with Windows Password Breaker?
First, download the Reset Windows Password utility on another PC in order to make a bootable Windows password breaker CD/USB drive. After the download is complete, extract the ISO image file from the zip and burn the ISO to a CD or DVD using your favorite ISO Burning program such as ISO2Disc or ImgBurn.
Now move to the locked computer with a Windows user account you need to break into, either insert the CD/DVD or the USB flash drive what you opted for and select it as the first boot device in computer BIOS.
Once you have booted into it you will see that the computer is loading the Windows PE operating system inside the CD/USB drive. After one or two minutes, the Reset Windows Password program will open up and automatically detect the SAM registry files for all your Windows installations.
Choose the SAM registry file for your Windows installation, it will show you all the user accounts that are associated with your Windows system. Select the user account you forgot password of, and then click on “Reset Password” button. It will break/reset your forgotten Windows password instantly!
After you are completed with all the above steps successfully, remove the Windows password breaker CD/USB drive and restart the computer. you can then happily log back into your computer without a password.
As you can see, if you have lost or forgot administrator password for your system, all is not lost. The Windows password breaker utility possesses the ability to penetrate locked out systems and restore access to user accounts and data. The tool should only be used only on systems for which you possess complete ownership and/or administrative authority.