Have you ever forgot your Windows admin password? Did know how to reset forgotten Windows 10 Password without knowing the old password? If you have such kind of question in your mind, don’t worry. Because in this article, I’m going to show you that how to reset forgotten Windows 10 password with installation CD.
This method will work on all versions of Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 and Vista. Let’s get start on how to reset Windows 10 Password without using third party software.
How to Reset Forgotten Windows 10 Password with Installation CD?
Boot your computer from Windows 10 installation CD (If you don’t have the CD, you can use a working PC to download Windows ISO file from Microsoft’s website and burn the CD). When the Windows Setup screen opens, press SHIFT + F10 key combinations to launch the Command Prompt.
Now you need to replace the sethc.exe file with cmd.exe. Just run the following commands at the Command Prompt one by one, replace d:\ with the actual drive letter of your Windows 10 installation.
copy d:\windows\system32\sethc.exe d:\
copy /y d:\windows\system32\cmd.exe d:\windows\system32\sethc.exe
When it’s done. exit Windows Setup and remove the installation CD. Reboot your computer.
When your computer reboots to Windows 10 login screen, press the SHIFT key 5 times in a row. The Command Prompt will open in administrative mode. Execute the following command and you can reset your forgotten user password quickly. Replace username with the name of your Windows account, and newpassword with your new password.
net user username newpassword
Close the Command Prompt and you’ll back at Windows login screen. You can now login with your new password.
This method is also known as sticky keys trick and it’s really useful for you to regain admin access to your computer when you’re locked out of Windows 10.
How to login to Windows 7 when your password is lost or forgotten? Fortunately there is a program called PCUnlocker which will let you bypass Windows 7 password and go right into the operating system. PCUnlocker does not alter Windows in any way, it works by changing the Windows kernel virtually so you can then access your Windows account with any password!
How to Login to Windows 7 with Any Password?
Download PCUnlocker ISO image and burn it to a CD using your favorite burning software. If you want to bypass Windows 7 password on a netbook without optical drive, you can create a bootable USB drive from PCUnlocker ISO image, by using the program ISO2Disc.
Once you’ve created a boot CD, take it to boot off your locked Windows 7 machine. Once you get to the PCUnlocker program, you’ve see a list of user accounts stored in the Windows SAM database.
Click on the Options button and select “Bypass Windows Password“.
When you see the confirmation pop-up dialog, click OK to confirm.
Click OK. Remove the CD and reboot your computer. You can then login to any user account with any password as the Windows password authentication subsystem was disabled temporarily while booting.
The next time you start the computer. Everything will come to normal and you need to use the original password to login to Windows.
The best way to protect your sensitive data is to encrypt it. Lock My Folders is a powerful folder protection software that lets you put all your confidential files inside an encrypted folder that can be accessed with a password and used as a regular folder.
How to Password Protect Your Files with Encryption?
Download and install the Lock My Folders program on your computer. The first time you launch the program, it will prompt you to set a master password that will be used to encrypt your files later on. Enter a password that you can remember as you’ll need it to open and use the program next time.
To create an encrypted folder, click on Add button from within the Lock My Folders program.
In the popup window, type your desired folder name and specify the location where you would like your new secure folder to be created. The location can be a folder on your local hard drive or an external USB drive.
As soon as you clicking OK, your secure folder will be created immediately. This will encrypt every file in this folder and its subfolders. New files created or copied here will also get encrypted.
After you finish working with the secure folder. Just right-click on the secure folder and select Lock My Folder. When it’s locked, anyone else who uses your computer are unable to view these files. If you shut down or restart your computer, all your secure folders will also be locked automatically for security reason.
If you need to read or modify your private files, you need to unlock the secure folder firstly. Right-click on the secure folder and select Unlock My Folder.
The program will ask you to enter your password. Upon successfully verifying the password, you can then open and access the secure folder again. It’s that simple!
UBCD4Win is a bootable CD which contains tons of free tools that allows you to repair, restore, or diagnose almost any computer problem. In this tutorial we’ll show you how to bypass Windows 7 administrator password with UBCD4Win – Ultimate Boot CD for Windows.
Note: UBCD4Win is a freeware so don’t expect it to work with domain controllers. If you want to find a more powerful yet easy-to-use password recovery software, try the PCUnlocker Live CD.
Part 1: Create A UBCD4Win Live CD
- Download the freeware UBCD4Win from its official website. The download is pretty big (about 269Mb), so expect to wait a while if your network connection is slow.
- After installing, start the UBCD4Win (UBCD4WinBuilder.exe) program. Point the “Source” path to your Windows XP setup CD or Windows 2003 installation CD. However, Vista is not yet supported as a source.
- Insert a blank CD, select “Burn to CD/DVD” and click Build. The whole process will take a little while.
Part 2: Bypass Windows 7 Administrator Password
- Once the CD has been created, go to the BIOS and make sure your CD-ROM is set as the first boot device. Start up the computer with UBCD4Win in the CD-ROM and you will have some boot options. Choose the “Launch The Ultimate Boot CD for Windows” option.
- It will take a few minutes to load fully, but when it does you should see a Windows XP like interface. Once there, go to Start > Programs > Password Tools > NTPWEdit.
- Once the utility is open, you need to click the (Re)open button to open up the SAM file which should show you the list of local system accounts for your Windows installation. Select the Administrator account and click on Change Password.
- Type your new password twice, or leave the password fields blank if you want to clear the password. Click OK.
- Restart the computer, remove the UBCD4Win Live CD from the drive, and you should be able to log into Windows administrator account with the new password you’ve set.
Forgot Windows administrator password and locked out of your PC? Most of Windows password recovery tools require you to create a bootable disc for cracking a password, but what do you do if you don’t have a blank CD or USB stick in hand? This tutorial will show you how to boot your locked PC directly over Network Interface Card (NIC), so you can then reset forgotten Windows password without using a CD or USB drive.
PXE works with Network Interface Card (NIC) of the system by making it function like a boot device. Nearly every modern Windows PC has a BIOS which supports PXE booting. Just put the PCUnlocker Live image on a PXE server, you can then boot any other PC/netbook on the same LAN network to use PCUnlocker for resetting a lost Windows password!
Check out this article for detailed instructions:
Windows Password Recovery Using PXE Network Boot
If you’re replacing or deleting system files in Windows 7 then first you have to take ownership & grant full control of the file to your account. Though this can be done from the GUI or the command prompt, it takes far too many steps especially if you need to proceed multiple files.
Luckily there is a freeware TakeOwnershipPro which enables you to take ownership of multiple folders or files in just a few mouse clicks! Here’s how it works:
- Download and install the TakeOwnershipPro program on your computer.
- After installing, start the TakeOwnershipPro program from the desktop shortcut or Start Menu.
- Click the Add button to choose the folders or files which you want to take ownership of, or simply drag the folders/files from Windows Explorer and then drop them to this program.
- Click Take Ownership button. If you want to take ownership of all subfolders and files inside your selected folder, tick the checkbox Include subfolders and files.
- Besides taking ownership from within the app, you can also right-click on your selected folders or files in Windows Explorer, and then select TakeOwnershipPro from the context menu. This program works with Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista and XP.
Lost Windows 7 password and can’t log on to your ASUS Zenbook? A forgotten password is no need for panic. As long as you have a password removal utility, you can get back into Windows 7 Ultrabook in minutes. PCUnlocker is one of the best recovery tools that can help you get rid of forgotten Windows 7 password with ease. The following is a walkthrough of using a CD to reset Windows 7 admin password on ASUS Zenbook Ultrabook.
First of all, you need to make a PCUnlocker Live CD using a secondary computer, not your locked PC. Download the ISO image of PCUnlocker and burn it onto a blank CD with your CD burning program. If you don’t have one, try the freeware ISO2Disc or ImgBurn.
Once you’ve created a PCUnlocker Live CD, put it in the CD drive of your locked ASUS Zenbook laptop. Power on the machine and repeatedly press F2 key to enter the BIOS Setup. Go to the Security tab and disable the Secure Boot Control option. Navigate to the Boot tab, disable Fast Boot and enable Launch CSM. Press F10 to save and exit.
Press and hold ESC key to launch Boot Menu when the computer restarts. Select the CD drive from the list and press Enter to boot from it. After a while, the PCUnlocker program will launch and it shows you a list of local accounts for your Windows 7 installation.
Select the administrator account and click on Reset Password button. This will reset your ASUS Zenbook login password immediately. Take out the CD and reboot, you can then get back into your Windows 7 system without entering a password!
If you’re tired of typing in your password every time you want to log into your Windows account, fingerprint reader may be able to lend some assistance. Once set up, simply swipe your finger over the reader and you’ll be automatically signed in.
In this article I’ll show you how to set up fingerprint reader on Dell Latitude E6420 with Windows 7 pre-installed.
- Go to Windows Start->Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Biometric Devices.
- Click on Change biometric settings.
- Select Biometrics on settings.
- Choose Allow users to log on to Windows and domain.
- Press Save Changes button.
- Click on Use your fingerprint with Windows.
- Follow wizard installation instructions to enroll your fingerprints.
- Begin using fingerprint authentication feature by selecting the Fingerprint emblem at Logon.
The first time it will ask you to enter your password to verify authentication. Thereafter you can use just the fingerprint to logon. A slow finger swipe is recommended. It may take a few seconds to fingerprint authenticate.
When you launch Startup Repair and get to the login screen, you have to enter the password before you can access “Startup Repair” or “System Restore” in the System Recovery Options. What to do if you’ve forgotten the startup repair password?
Just take it easy! Simply boot your computer from PCUnlocker Live CD and it enables you to reset Startup Repair password quickly. The PCUnlocker utility exists as a bootable ISO image, which needs to be burned to a blank CD or placed on a bootable USB drive. It could be used to reset lost administrator password on Windows 8, 7, Vista and XP.
Once you’ve created a PCUnlocker Live CD, put it in the CD drive of the Windows 7 computer that you’re trying to reset the password for. Power on the computer and make the CD-ROM to boot first in the BIOS. If all goes well, you should be booting into a mini Windows Preinstallation Environment (PE). PCUnlocker is launched automatically after the system has booted, and it searches your Windows installation and displays a list of local accounts stored in your SAM database.
Choose your administrator account and click on “Reset Password” button. The program will remove your forgotten password and tweak the account’s properties so you can later login without a password. Take out the Live CD and reboot your computer. Repeatedly press F8 key to access the Advanced Boot Options screen again, and you can then log on with a blank password and continue to perform a Startup Repair or System Restore. Done!
Locked out of Windows 7 system and couldn’t login? How to log on to Windows 7 if you forgot the administrator password? PCUnlocker is an amazing bootdisk that can help you bypass Windows 7 logon password, and unlock a disabled, locked or expired user account.
To get the software to work, you will need to make a PCUnlocker Live CD from another computer. Boot your locked Windows 7 system from the Live CD and you can easily bypass forgotten logon password in the Security Accounts Manager (SAM). These instructions are written assuming a bootable CD is being used, but are essentially the same for a bootable USB drive.
How to Bypass Windows 7 Logon Password?
- Download the PCUnlocker software using an alternative computer. Once downloaded, extract the ISO file (pcunlocker.iso) from the ZIP file.
- Next download and install ISO2Disc, a freeware for making bootable CD or USB drive. Run the ISO2Disc program, click on Browse button to select the PCUnlocker ISO image.
- Choose your CD/DVD recorder and click on Start Burn to make a PCUnlocker Live CD.
- After you’ve created a PCUnlocker Live CD, put it in the CD drive of the locked Windows 7 computer you want to bypass the password for.
- Power on the computer and quickly press the key indicated in the POST screen (i.e. DELETE key, F2 key, F12 key) to enter BIOS Setup. The exact key depends on your computer – if you don’t see the appropriate key displayed on your screen, consult your computer’s manual.
- Once you’re in the BIOS Setup, go to the Boot menu. Change the boot sequence and set your computer to boot from CD/DVD first.
- Press F10 to save your changes and exit the BIOS.
- The computer will then restart from PCUnlocker Live CD. After a while, you’ll see the PCUnlocker program and it shows you a list of local accounts stored in the Security Accounts Manager (SAM).
- Choose a user and click Reset Password button, the program will unlock / bypass your forgotten Windows 7 logon password immediately.
- Now take out the Live CD. The next time you boot, Windows 7 will load up on its own without asking for a password. If you’re on a multi-user computer, the logon screen will still appear after starting Windows 7 but when you click on the user that had the password removed, you will not be prompted for a password and will instead enter Windows automatically.